Monday, September 29, 2008

latent relations

Unknowingly, or knowingly, many a people touch your life and become a part of it too. People range from friends, neighbours, seat mates on your everyday journey to the office, maybe your barber, the tailor or the man with a cart of vegetables at the end of the street, who always smiles as you pass by. You never get to knowing their name perhaps,  but still you end up maintaining a hidden relation with them.

One such guy was my tailor,
Narayan. I figured out his name from the newly designed bill he gave me, the nth time I went to him. This was an year after he became my personal tailor, if I can call him so. Nevertheless, he knew my name well. I still do not remember the first time I went to him. Thanks to the company I work for, wearing formals 4 days a week became necessary and I preferred them getting stitched. This would not restrict the size to an even number, which is the case otherwise, with ready-made stuff. I used to have little weird requests like having a secret pocket inside my shirt and he used to remember each one of them on my next visit. And he used to give me the best fitting always. I even had his phone number now. It's been 3 years. I never went to any other tailor. I was so used to this one. With hardly any time left for my birthday, I felt very enthusiastic, getting new formals stitched, with the day being a Monday.



I went to his shop last Friday, only to find it closed. I wondered at the odd time of closure, since I was there at around 5 in the evening. The same closed shutters greeted me the next day too. I decided to try for a third time today morning. Still closed. I enquired with the lady of the adjacent shop. "I don't know. It's been nearly 15 days they raised the shutter.", she said. "Why, do you have any idea?".

"They haven't opened it ever since their Prop Narayan passed away", she informed. The news came a bit hard on me. Totally unexpected. Here I was, waiting to get another of the man's best fit on me, and I would never see him again !! .....



somewhere deep down, I felt a little pain. An unknown feeling which I wasn't able to comprehend. Unsure of what to do next, I went back home, threw the bag into my closet and made my way to office . . . .

2 comments:

vijaya said...

hey brother this made me emotional.
Absolute reality!!

Unknown said...

So touching... but it happens daa...